These rose gold filled jump rings are saw cut and polished to a high gleam. Spiderchain specializes in precious metal jump rings, and we take pride in the quality of our products. These rings are cleanly cut, consistently sized, and free of partial or mangled rings.
17ga Jump Rings – inch
|Inner Diameter||Rings per Troy Ounce|
Please note that the inner diameter listed is the size of the steel rod that we use to wind that ring size. The finished size will be a tiny bit larger (especially for big/thin rings) because the wire springs back a bit after being wrapped around the rod. And if you want rings with even larger inner diameters than are listed here, please visit the Large Aspect Ratio section of the site.
The rings/ozt numbers in this chart will be closest for sterling silver jump rings. The other metals that we use are slightly less dense than sterling silver. If you’re buying gold filled, brass or copper rings you will get a few more rings in an ounce than you see in the chart.
General Info About Rose Goldfill
These rings are made with 14/20 gold filled wire. This means that the gold portion is 14 karat (14 parts pure gold, 10 parts other metals), and the gold portion is 1/20th the total weight of the wire. Unlike gold plating, which is often only a few atoms thick, gold fill is much thicker. As a result, the lifetime of gold fill items is measured in decades, not weeks. Additionally, gold filled jump rings are resistant to tarnishing. To remove dirt and oils, simply soak your chainmaille jewelry in soapy water, then rub briskly with your fingers or palms before rinsing and air drying.
14K gold is especially well suited to colored alloys. Pure gold makes up 14 parts out of 24, so the gold color is nice and rich, and with 10 parts out of 24 for other metals (with other colors) that rich gold can be “tweaked” quite a bit. Rose 14K gold is a great example of this. The rich red of copper combines with gold to make a beautiful rosy-warm golden color that looks amazing when combined with sterling silver (or green niobium!)
For more information on the various colors of gold alloys, check out Ganoksin’s in-depth article on the topic. While you’re there, be sure to explore their vast range of information for jewelers.
Working with 17 Gauge Jump Rings
Chainmaille jewelry made with 17ga rings is a sweet spot of thin-yet-strong. And as a bonus, it’s very close to 18 gauge SWG, so it’s easy to make your favorite aluminum-and-steel designs in precious metals. Over the years I’ve made a lot(!) of 17ga jump rings for Rebeca Mojica, and she’s the one who pointed out the nice size coincidence. Here’s what she has to say about 17ga AWG rings:
“I love 17ga AWG wire because it’s very similar in size to 18ga SWG. This makes it easy to upgrade my 18ga SWG designs to silver or gold. I just use the same inner diameter and it works well about 90% of the time. (The other 10% of the time are those very finicky weaves, especially if they use multiple ring sizes.) 18SWG/17AWG is my favorite wire diameter because it’s thin enough to be easy on the hands to work with, but thick enough to be satisfyingly durable.”
I recommend using either mismatched pliers (flat-nose and chain-nose) or two flat-nose for working with 17ga chainmail rings.